The Alumni Relations Manager & Communications Specialist is the liaison representing alumni within the Advancement Office team. Reporting to the Director of Advancement and working closely with Advancement’s Associate Director Communications and others within the office and the university, the incumbent is the bridge to and primary organizing contact for the Alumni Association. While the position is heavily weighted to communications and digital events, some in-person alumni and university events are organized by the incumbent. The incumbent will actively communicate and occasionally visit with alumni to increase visibility for King’s among this varied and valued constituency.
This position supports the university’s goal to build and strengthen connections within the alumni network through planning and implementing digital programming and storytelling to enrich alumni connections to King’s, and to each other. Using a variety of communications tools and some in-person events, the incumbent will assist the Alumni Association to provide support for its youngest members as they work to establish their careers. As well, the incumbent will encourage alumni connections with and support for our current and prospective students through alumni example and contact.
Specific Duties / Accountabilities
- The primary responsibility of this role is to plan, write, implement and measure an Alumni Relations Communications Plan. Key elements of the plan will include web presence and events, regular e-newsletters, online community development, developing social media content, responsive social listening, as well as regular print and email correspondence.
- Principal alumni storyteller. Responsible for getting to know King’s alumni, following their accomplishments, adventures and ventures while sharing with the King’s community and the broader public the diversity and depth of King’s alumni community.
- Support university priorities and initiatives to create an inclusive community among alumni and cultivate a culture of engagement. This work includes online and in-person event management; strengthening communications, storytelling and program development, and stewarding the volunteer work of the Alumni Association.
- In addition to getting to know alumni, the incumbent will also take every opportunity to connect with faculty and senior administrators to facilitate two-way flow of information about alumni relations.
- Working across offices and areas of the university to ensure a welcoming and supportive alumni presence for current and prospective students.
- This position works collaboratively with others in Advancement and across the college to promote the overall institutional goals related to communications, philanthropy, and alumni engagement.
Administrative responsibilities include:
- continue research into trends in alumni communications and programming, establish goals and evaluate progress toward goals, including regular use and refinement of survey tools and reporting on goals and feedback received.
- updating the alumni database, tracking actions and running reports.
- organizing Alumni Association meetings, making regular presentations to this group, and providing their volunteer work with elements of administrative support.
- budgeting and coordinating event logistics and maintaining registration lists for alumni programs and college events as required.
- provide support for the office’s other programs in communications and philanthropy where they dovetail with alumni relations.
- At times, travel may be necessary.
The above accountabilities are not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the position described.
The successful candidate will need:
- A Bachelor’s Degree or higher, ideally in communications, journalism, English, or public relations and a minimum of three years of experience with increasing responsibility in communications, ideally in a university, non-profit, business or a similar industry setting with multiple stakeholders.
- Stellar writing and editing skills are essential and evidence of these skills will be necessary.
- Proficiency within the digital sphere.
- Understanding of and experience with social media platforms like LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and social monitoring tools like Hootsuite, and comfort writing content and sourcing images for these platforms.
- Experience with Content Management Systems like WordPress, digital templates, survey tools and reporting practices ideal.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated event management skills such as diplomacy, creative thinking, vigilance, and the ability to quickly resolve issues with wise judgement, common sense and available resources.
- The ability to manage multiple, competing priorities in a dynamic environment.
- Discretion with confidential materials. Experience with database entry and queries considered an asset.
- The ability to work flexible hours, to be available for on-site event management evenings and weekends on an occasional basis, and the willingness to travel when necessary.
- Must be highly organized, motivated and committed to the values of the university and the collaborative nature of a small team.
Closing Date: Tuesday, July 7, 2020
Compensation Range: $51,504 – $60,748 (including a comprehensive benefits plan including enrolment in the Nova Scotia Public Service Superannuation Pension Plan)