Employment Opportunity: Donor Communications-Writer (Advancement Office)
Full-time, one-year contract (with the possibility to renew)
To achieve the goals of King’s during a major fundraising campaign, the Donor Communications Writer works directly with the President, Advancement Director, the Associate Director, Communications (Advancement) and other members of the King’s community to develop and contribute to campaign communications.
The position requires a strong, nuanced and prolific writer responsible for creating content to support donor relations activity. The Donor Communications Writer is a skilled storyteller with an instinct for sourcing and reporting feature stories across print and digital platforms with the ability to assess how and in what format information is best distributed. They will be equally adept at speechwriting and will also act as a second copy editor on the advancement team.
Specific Duties / Accountabilities
- Researches and interviews subjects and writes compelling stories including those that tell the impact of giving, such as student success with scholarships, donor profiles, and general giving and impact stories for maximum audience reach and impact
- Takes and/or sources photos to accompany stories
- Writes affiliated headlines, decks, subheads, sidebars, cut lines and social media posts to accompany stories
- Researches and writes cases for support that succinctly describe the needs and opportunities for giving to King’s, and may direct the work of others commissioned to do the same
- Edits or repurposes content created by other writers
- Understands and moves fluidly between different professional writing styles, e.g., journalistic, website-specific, conversational (for social media), etc., and is meticulous about fact-checking, accuracy and producing clean, informative and engaging copy
- Actively listens to and scans competitive environment and King’s community
- Contributes to ideation and shares informed opinions concerning donor-communications practices and products that recognize opportunities for King’s and that could lead to enhanced storytelling to support donor relations
- Understands institutional key messages and campaign objectives and drafts speeches that are tailored to different audiences
- When needed, contributes to media relations by writing materials such as media releases
- Produces reports that evaluate donor relations and campaigns communications with recommendations and an eye to continuous improvement
- Writes copy for ukings.ca webpages, particularly an enhanced alumni and giving section
- Supports planning and execution of communications for campaign and donor recognition events
The above accountabilities are not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the position described.
The successful candidate will need
- professional communications experience with a strong portfolio of writing samples that demonstrate an aptitude and flexibility for different writing styles across a spectrum of print and digital mediums.
- a proven ability to work to deadline and the ability to set and adjust priorities accordingly.
- an undergraduate degree in journalism, communications, public relations, English–or equivalent.
- experience writing speeches for others in the speaker’s voice with understanding of how to adapt key messages for audience/forum.
- a proven ability to stay on top of best practices through environmental scanning and interest in ongoing skills development.
- proven initiative as a self-starter with a high degree of independence paired with enjoyment of being on a team that learns and excels as one.
Closing Date: Wednesday, February 26, 2020
Compensation Range: $45,000 – $55,000 (including a comprehensive benefits plan)