Specific Duties / Accountabilities
The responsibilities of this position include providing services to library patrons at the Access Services Desk and carrying out all functions of the Novanet circulation module. Other tasks include supervising and training student assistants, handling financial transactions, and materials exchanged with other Novanet libraries. Other duties may include assisting with reference work, archival projects, preparing instructional or promotional material and organizing displays as required. The incumbent works under the supervision of the University Librarian.
- Responsibilities of the position include providing services to library patrons at the Access Services Desk and carrying out all functions of the Novanet circulation module.
- Responsibility for implementing, maintaining and resolving numerous interrelated elements and services relating to accessing and managing the Library’s physical and online information resources including Inter-Library Loan and document delivery.
- Responsibility for working both independently and cooperatively with other staff to ensure that Library services and operations are covered effectively at all times.
- Other tasks include training and supervising student assistants, overseeing stack maintenance, handling financial transactions, and processing materials exchanged with other Novanet libraries.
The above accountabilities are not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the position described.
Qualifications and Skills
- Library and Information Technology Diploma with 1-2 years’ experience working in a library environment.
- A University undergraduate degree is required.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Committed to continuous learning and updating of skills.
- Experience with digitization.
- Demonstrated computer literacy including knowledge of the complete suite of Microsoft applications and an aptitude for troubleshooting computer hardware and software issues.
- Experience with Integrated Library Systems (ILS) and Discovery Services, preferably Aleph and Primo; LibGuides.
- Experience working collaboratively with faculty, staff, and students.
- Ability to exercise initiative and judgment appropriately.
- Ability to deal with a diversity of people in a calm, courteous, and effective manner.
- Ability to maintain accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to prioritize and work effectively under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Ability to establish and maintain productive and collegial relationships with co-workers in a team-oriented work environment.
- Ability to recognize, respect and work effectively with individuals and groups with diverse perspectives and backgrounds.
Closing Date: Friday, May 12, 2017
Salary Range: $35,176 – $41,201
Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 12:00pm – 8:00pm (Academic Year September to April)
Monday to Friday 9:00am – 5:00pm (May to August)
To apply for this position, please forward resume and cover letter to:
Human Resources & Compensation Officer
University of King’s College
6350 Coburg Road
Halifax, NS B3H 2A1
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
The University of King’s College is an Employment Equity/Affirmative Action Employer. We encourage and welcome those who would contribute to the diversification of our staff and faculty including, but not limited to women, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, visual minorities and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity.