Covid-19 Residence FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

What Covid precautions do I need to take when I return to residence?

Upon arriving at residence, students must complete a rapid test, which will be provided to you at the Alex Hall front desk. Complete the rapid test as soon as possible. Even a faint line is considered a positive result.

If you test positive for Covid-19, you must self-isolate in your room immediately and complete our online Residence Self-Isolation Form.

What Covid precautions do I need to take while living in residence?


Public Health now requires the use of three-ply masks in all settings. King’s-branded three-ply cloth masks are available for pickup at the Alex Hall front desk. Disposable three-ply masks are also available throughout residence. Three-ply masks are required at all times when not in your room. This includes hallways, common rooms, Prince Hall when not actively eating, and anytime you are with others. No food or drink will be permitted in common rooms to ensure proper masking is upheld at all times. The longer you are in proximity to someone unmasked, the greater your chances of contracting Covid if one of you is positive. To help protect one another, please insist your friends wear three-ply masks whenever you’re together. Strict mask enforcement will be followed. Not wearing a three-ply mask could lead to disciplinary action without additional warning. Again, all masks supplied by King’s, both branded and disposable will be three-ply.

Limit contact with others

We expect you to keep to a consistent social group of no more than the required limit (currently 10 consistent people). Keep track of who you eat meals with and who you spend extended time with—these are your close contacts in case you get sick. Common room occupancy and in-person programming will also be limited to this number.

Self-isolation when necessary

If you have tested positive for Covid-19, are experiencing symptoms of Covid-19 or have been identified as a close contact of a positive case, you must self-isolate in your room immediately and complete our online Residence Self-Isolation Form.

What if I test positive for or am experiencing symptoms of Covid-19?

If you need to self isolate because you have tested positive for Covid-19, are experiencing symptoms of Covid-19 or have been identified as a close contact of a positive case, you must self-isolate in your room immediately and complete our online Residence Self-Isolation Form.

If you get sick with Covid it can be frustrating and scary, especially if you’ve been doing “everything right”, but there is no shame in contracting Covid. Your privacy is paramount. You may choose to share that you’re sick with others, but you do not have to. King’s will only notify a small group of staff confidentially on a need-to-know basis. Community-wide communications will not go out unless directed by Public Health, and even then, individual privacy will always be protected. We will take care of you—bring you meals, offer check-ins, provide you access to mental and physical health supports. It won’t be easy, but we will be in it together as a residence community.

What if I am a close contact of a positive case?

If you have been identified as a close contact of a positive case, you must self-isolate in your room immediately and complete our online Residence Self-Isolation Form.

Can I return to residence later in the term?

Yes. Complete this quick and easy one-question arrival date form. If you don’t know your plans yet but expect to arrive at some point later in the term, email Senior Don Brianna Legere to let her know.

What if I don’t want to return to residence?

If you are at increased risk for severe outcomes, residence may not be an appropriate living environment. If you are not comfortable returning to residence given the likelihood of COVID in our community, complete this withdrawal form and you will receive a pro-rated refund of residence fees.

We are working on plans to support students who want to withdraw from residence and still have belongings on campus. Please stay tuned for more information.

Can I self-isolate in residence after returning from international travel?

If you must self-isolate because you have tested positive for Covid-19, are experiencing symptoms of Covid-19 or have been identified as a close contact of a positive case, you should do so in your room immediately and complete our online Residence Self-Isolation Form.

However, students who need to self-isolate after returning from international travel cannot do so in residence due to limited self-isolation rooms.

If you are travelling internationally, reach out to the Dal International Centre to ensure you’re prepared for any additional steps you may need to take when returning to Canada. You can also check out to their website for information about current international travel restrictions.

When can I apply for residence?

Residence applications for the 2022/2023 academic year are now open. See more on our Apply for Residence page.

What will happen if space is limited in residence?

If we cannot accommodate you in residence, you will be put on a waitlist. Students who cannot be accommodated in residence due to reduced capacity but who are still planning on attending King’s will have their $400 deposit credited to your student account.

What happens if my plans have changed?

Email to cancel your application if you no longer want to live in residence. If you are unable to attend King’s or choose to take a gap year for the term specified, you may be eligible to defer your acceptance to King’s (as well as your residence fees) to a future term.

What is my residence mailing address?

Your address while in residence:

Student Name
Room Number and Residence Building
University of King’s College
6350 Coburg Road
Halifax, NS B3H 2A1

All student mail and packages are picked up at King’s A&A reception. The desk is open Monday-Friday from 9 am-5 pm (excluding holidays).

Can I have guests or visitors in residence?

No, not at this time. But we will advise if this changes.

Will I be required to wear a mask?

Yes. Non-medical masks must be worn at all times in residence and all indoor public places on campus. Masks are not required in your bedroom, nor are they required while eating in Prince Hall. Information about wearing non-medical masks can be found on Nova Scotia’s website.

Will I be required to physically distance?

Yes. Students are required to practice physical distancing when outside of their rooms.

Will I be allowed to visit different Floors or Bays?

Yes, but you must wear a mask in all public spaces (hallways, kitchens, common areas, etc.)

Can I share my keys or access card?

No. Sharing swipe cards and/or keys would undermine our collective safety and Public Health’s ability to contact trace. Each swipe card/key is issued and tracked in a student’s name. Students who lose their key or get locked out should call the Alex Hall Front Desk at 902 422 6011 (or extension 132 from a residence phone). Replacement fees may apply. A student found sharing swipe cards/keys or giving access to students who do not live in their residence space during Phase 1 may have their residence agreement terminated with 48 hours’ notice to leave residence.

Can I use shared spaces such as common rooms, kitchens, and laundry?

All shared spaces, including common lounges, kitchens, and laundry rooms have posted capacity limits.

If there is a fire alarm, do I need to evacuate?

Yes. We have designated evacuation muster points for residence students. You may not remain in your residence room during a fire alarm or other emergency. Masks must be worn at all times, barring valid medical exceptions, and students are required to physically distance from one another until the all-clear is given.

Is residence being cleaned more extensively?

Yes. All residence spaces receive enhanced daily cleaning. Residence bathrooms are cleaned 4-5 times daily. Students are responsible for keeping their individual rooms clean and are strongly encouraged to dispose of food garbage in the common bins as soon as possible to avoid attracting unwanted guests that like to snack. Cleaning supplies are available to students.

What if something is wrong with my room? How do I submit a request to get it fixed?

Any maintenance requests should be reported online using form # NX02 through the residence portal. For a major facility-related emergency outside of regular business hours, please call Security at 902-430-7938.

Who do I contact if I need help?

Dons and Junior Dons are always available to help. The Alex Hall front desk is staffed 24/7. You can reach Security at 902-430-7938 after hours.

What about residence programming?

Don and Junior Dons may organize in-person programming if:

  • Only residence students attend (attendance will be recorded for contact tracing).
  • Masks are worn by all participating.
  • It is hosted outdoors or in a larger campus space where physical distancing can be maintained (open windows are recommended, just don’t forget to close them!).
  • It complies with other government- and campus-safety requirements.

Virtual programming will also continue. Physically distanced in-person support with Dons and/or Junior Dons will be possible in designated spaces.

Can I leave Halifax and come back to residence?

Everyone who travels from another Canadian province or territory (outside Nova Scotia), including if you’re travelling through Nova Scotia to another destination, needs to apply to travel to Nova Scotia by completing the Safe Check-in Form, including most travellers who are exempt from self-isolation. Please note, the current travel restrictions could change.

Will I get kicked out if I break the rules?

As a King’ student, and part of our campus community, you must abide by all campus and government rules. King’s is committed to helping students understand why campus rules are important and will update students through their @Dal email address and on the King’s website. It is expected that campus rules (including residence guidelines) will change as the year goes on. Students are encouraged to stay up to date on ongoing developments to campus and government rules. It is our collective responsibility to hold one another accountable to ensure a safe, supportive environment for us to live and learn together. A serious infraction will have serious consequences, including the possible termination of a student’s residence agreement.

What if I decide residence isn’t for me and decide to move out?

Residence may not be for everyone. Students who choose to withdraw will be given as much flexibility as possible, including the pro-rated refund of residence fees. Contact the Residence Office at for more information on withdrawing from residence.

I have more questions. Who can help me?

We anticipate questions from students and their families about residence. Don’t hesitate to reach out! Chances are if one student has a question, other students will have the same. Students are encouraged to reach out directly since, due to confidentiality, the Residence Office may be limited to what we can tell family members. Information will be available on:

Additional questions can be directed to the Residence Office at