Student Loans

Canadian Student Loan Procedures

In Canada there are two types of government student loan programs:

  • Canada Student Financial Assistance Program: administered by the federal government
  • Provincial Student Loans Program: administered by your province or territory.

You only need to apply online through your province of permanent residency to be considered for both types of loans, regardless if you are a full or part-time student. This also applies to student’s who are studying out of province (for example, if you are from Ontario and will be attending our university, you apply for an Ontario Student Loan).

Student’s must state ‘University of King’s College’ as their official university on their student loan application.

Please note: NU, NT and QC are not part of the Canada Student Financial Assistance Program but do offer their own loan funding programs for in-province and out-of-province students.

Apply early

Make sure you apply online two months before the start of your school term. Once you have applied, check your student loan status online if you have not heard from your province within 4 weeks of your submission date.

Student loans in Canada are processed through an online portal system or for some provinces, by paper.  When allowed, the university will deduct from the student loan any amount owing to the university.  Please note, while some provinces offer online part-time student loan applications, others are still issuing paper applications.  While paper applications can have the university section completed by the King’s Student Accounts Office in person or via email, any paper Part Time Student Loan Certificate of Eligibility (the student loan payment disbursement) must be completed at the King’s Student Accounts Office in person with the student).

Student loan installments

Within 1 week, the amount deducted from the student loan will be sent to the university and any remaining funds will be deposited into your personal bank account. Make sure your provincial student aid office has your updated personal banking information.

After the first installment has been disbursed to the university, some provinces may require additional forms to be completed and returned before a second installment will be made available.

Note: A change in registration can result in a change in your student account balance. Make sure you’re fully registered before the start of each term and your student account balance is paid in full by the term due date to avoid late fees and interest charges.

Check your student account balance through Dal Online or by contacting the Student Accounts Office.

First time student loan borrowers must setup an online account through the National Student Loans Service Center (NSLSC) as well as complete the Master Student Financial Assistance Agreement (MSFAA).

Returning students who had a previous student loan and who wish to remain interest free on those loans must let all previous financial lenders know they are back in school. Visit the NSLSC website for more information on how to maintain your student loan.

A new student loan application must be completed each year for students who wish to obtain student loan funding.

Consult the overview of the Canada Student Financial Assistance Program for more information.

Student Loan Orientation Webinar

The National Student Loan Service Center (NSLSC) offers a student loan orientation webinar. It goes through the process and explains what is expected of the student at each stage of the loan life cycle. They will introduce you to the idea of repayment but will focus more on what happens throughout the school year. They will go through the roles of the NSLSC and the province as well as provide you with some hints of how to be financially successful during and after school.

Canada Student Loans

Sharlene Salter

Student Accounts Officer, Student Accounts Office | 902 422-1271 ext. 116

M-F: 9:00AM - 4:00 PM

American Student Loan Procedures

King’s is recognized as a participant by the US Department of Education Direct Loans Program. Our US Department of Education Code is 00950100 or G09501, depending on the requested fields. King’s is also recognized by some private loan agencies. Applicants must ensure they maintain satisfactory academic progress requirements in order to receive US financial assistance.

Steps for processing US loans

If you’re an American student, you can apply for your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online. When applying to King’s, you must ensure you specify the University of King’s College school code noted above on the application. This will generate an electronic Student Aid Report (SAR).

Visit to first view your documents. You must also complete your Entrance Counselling if you are a first time borrower, then sign your Master Promissory Note (MPN), and/or complete the PLUS loan process.

The university will then receive an electronic copy of your SAR and MPN through the US Department of Educations direct loan systems. The university will process the loan and submit it back to the Department for final completion. The university will notify you of your loan amount and all loan payments will be posted directly to your account. Make sure your student account is paid by the tuition and fee due dates.

Please note: US Federal law prohibits the distribution of federal pell grants at foreign institutions.

Return of Title IV Policy

University of King’s College US Direct Loan Consumer Information

Satisfactory Academic Progress Requirements

US Financial Aid Recipients

Students receiving US financial aid will be evaluated for satisfactory academic progress at the end of their first year of study then, after each term. Students must be registered in at least 7.5 credit hours in each academic term for which they are receiving aid. Non-credit courses will not be counted in assessing full-time hours.

Academic Standing

Students must maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0. If the cumulative GPA drops below 2.0, the student will be placed on US Financial Aid Probation. While on probation, the student must obtain a term GPA of 2.0 or higher to continue to be eligible for US financial aid. The student will remain on probation until the cumulative GPA is 2.0 or higher. If the student does not meet the required term GPA, they will be placed on US Financial Aid Suspension. Students placed on suspension will not be eligible for aid until they receive a term GPA of 2.0 or higher.

Maximum Time Frame

Students are entitled to receive U.S. financial aid for 150% of the allocated program time frame:

  • 1-year degree: eligible for aid for 1.5 years
  • 2-year degree: eligible for aid for 3 years
  • 3-year degree: eligible for aid for 4.5 years
  • 4-year degree: eligible for aid for 6 years

Financial Aid Suspension Appeal

Students who have their eligibility for US Financial Aid suspended may appeal the suspension if one or more of the following circumstances exist:

  • Death of immediate family member.
  • Extended illness of student, an illness that causes the student to be absent from class at least 15 days or more (medical documentation required).
  • Extended illness of a family member that places hardship on the student (medical documentation required).
  • Mitigating circumstances as determined by the university.

Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal – US Financial Aid [PDF]

* All appeals must be received in writing within 10 days of receipt of the Notice of Suspension.

US Student Loans

Catherine Read