It’s time to tell your story
Do you have a story to tell? The faculty and mentors in King’s Writing & Publishing program want to work with you to get that story onto the page—and onto the bookshelf. Our two unique limited-residency Master of Fine Arts programs in Creative Nonfiction and Fiction allow you to work with accomplished writers and editors to produce a book-length nonfiction or fiction manuscript, while also gaining the book publishing industry knowledge you need to successfully find a publisher and market your book.
What makes our programs unique?
- You choose your focus: We offer two programs, allowing you to pursue either Creative Nonfiction or Fiction.
- You choose where you live and work: Our limited-residency two-year programs are designed to suit your life. Each year, you spend nine days in Halifax for our in-person June residency. Then, each January, you complete a six-day online residency. The rest of the year is spent working remotely with your mentor and other faculty. By the end of your program, you have had two in-person residencies in Halifax, and two online January residencies (one focusing on the Canadian publishing industry, the other on the U.S. and international industry).
- You learn both the craft and business of publishing: Many programs focus solely on the craft of writing. Our programs provide intensive one-to-one mentoring to build your craft skills, while also providing instruction in contracts, marketing and other business or publishing topics related directly to your book project.
- You have the opportunity to meet editors, agents and other book publishing professionals based in Canada and the U.S. during your January residencies.
- You work with accomplished writers and editors who are also accomplished teachers: Our program mentors and faculty are award-winning authors and editors who know the publishing world from the inside out. They are also top-notch educators, who are adept at working with students across a range of genres and subject areas.
Our graduates have an impressive track record of publishing success. They’ve been published by top Canadian, U.S. and international publishers and garnered awards and accolades in Canada and beyond.
Read about MFA book deals
Upcoming MFA Meet and Greets
Learn more about our MFA events at one of our upcoming virtual meet and greets:
November 15 at 7 p.m.
January 23 at 8 p.m.
November 9 at 8 p.m.
January 24 at 7 p.m.
We’d like to add your book to our King’s MFA bookshelf! Find out more:
Master of Fine Arts in Creative Nonfiction
Master of Fine Arts in Fiction