Academic Advising

Current Student Advising

Planning your course of study

We know that you want your studies to engage you fully, to bring you closer to answering important questions and to provide you with skills you can use after graduation. The question is: what program or programs will do this most effectively for you?

Consult the What’s Next? Advising Guide, and the timetable below for resources that will help you make your choice on an area of study.

What’s Next?

2019/2020 Advising Timetable

Fall Term

July 2
Last day to apply to graduate in October (Dalhousie Convocation)
Sept. 3
Courses begin for Fall term
Sept. TBD
Letter of Permission transcripts due for students planning to graduate in Fall Convocation
Sept. 18
  • Last day to add courses (Fall and X/Y)
  • Last day to apply for honours programs
  • Last day to change from Dalhousie to King’s or vice versa
  • Last day to drop Fall courses with no financial implications
Oct. 1 December exam schedule posted (King's and Dalhousie)
Oct. 2
  • Last day to drop without a “W” (Fall courses)
  • Last day to change from credit to audit or vice versa (Fall courses)
Oct. 7-8 Fall Convocation Ceremonies (Dalhousie) for Arts, Science and Music
Oct. 31
  • Last day to drop without a “W” (X/Y courses)
  • Last day to drop with a “W” (Fall courses)
  • Last day to change from credit to audit or vice versa (X/Y courses)
Dec. 1 Last day to apply to graduate in Spring 2020
Dec. 3
Last day of courses for Fall term (Monday classes held)
Dec. 10 Summer academic timetable available
Dec. 5-15 Fall exam period


Winter Term

Jan. 6
Courses begin for Winter term
Jan. 17
  • Last day to add courses (Winter term)
  • Last day to drop Winter courses with no financial implications
Jan. 31 Last day to drop without a “W” (Winter courses)
Feb. 4
  • Last day to drop with a “W” (X/Y courses)
  • Winter exam schedule posted
Feb. TBD
CSP Meet & Greet
Feb. TBD EMSP Meet & Greet
Feb. TBD HOST Meet & Greet
Feb. TBD
King’s Advising Luncheon
Feb. TBD Registration begins for Summer courses
Feb. 24 Last day to drop with a “W” (Winter courses)
Mar. TBD Fall & Winter timetable posted for upcoming academic year
Mar. TBD Registration opens for returning students
Apr. 6
Last day of courses for Winter term
Encaenia ceremony


Registration Refresher

Welcome back to another year at King’s. Here’s a refresher on how to register:

  1. Visit Dal Online and log in using your Net ID and PIN.
  2. Select “Web for Students,” and then select “Academic Timetable” to view the classes available to you.
  3. Make a note of the Class Reference Number (CRN) for each class and tutorial you select, paying attention to which term each class is held in.
  4. From the main menu select “Registration.” Click on “Add/Drop Classes.” Enter the CRNs you have selected. Click on “Submit.”

Important Things to Note:

  • Full-year classes are split into two terms: X for Fall Term and Y for Winter Term. If you choose a full-year class, you must ensure you are registered in both terms.
  • If a class you want has a tutorial or lab, you must register for the lecture and tutorial/lab together or you will get an error message. If you receive a “T0 error,” you must add a tutorial; an “L0 error” means that you have to add a lecture, and a “BO error” indicates you need to add a lab.
  • A “Reserve Closed” error means that, although there are still spots in the course, the seats reserved for your program or major group are full, therefore, you will not be able to register.
  • The Dal Online system does not check for timetable conflicts. It is your responsibility to make sure that your classes aren’t scheduled at overlapping times.

For Journalism Students

  • Many of your classes including the workshops, are cross-listed between BJH (4000 level) and one-year BJ (5000 level). Pay attention to the number of the class as well as the title.
  • Before returning to King’s in September fourth-year BJH students must register for JOUR 0477.00 (Journalism Internship) and JOUR 4002.03 (Honours Project).
  • Registration for Fall term workshops takes place in September. Registration for the Winter term workshops takes place before you leave for the break in December.
  • Note also that because the Workshops are limited enrolment and because their term is so short, the academic deadlines are earlier than for regular classes. Normally, the deadline for registering for journalism workshops is the end of the second day of classes in that workshop.

Taking Courses at Other Universities

As a King’s student in good standing, once you have completed your first year of study you will be eligible to take classes at other universities and have them count toward your degree here at King’s. There are a number of important steps you must complete before taking the class, in order to receive credit for the course as part of your degree here at King’s. This process can be lengthy—get started early.

  1. Do your research. Figure out which university you’d like to take a class at—it could be another university in Halifax, the university in your hometown, a distance course from across the country or a term spent abroad.
  2. Look through the course calendar and timetable at the university you’d like to attend. If a course has ever been approved for transfer credit to King’s / Dalhousie, it will appear in the Transfer Credit Equivalency Database.
  3. Print the following Letter of Permission form, or pick one up at the Registrar’s Office, and read it carefully:
  4. If your course is listed in the Transfer Equivalency Database, simply  fill out the form and bring it to the King’s Registrar’s Office.
  5. If your course doesn’t appear in the database, you will need to provide a copy of the class calendar description and syllabus to the department at King’s or Dal that offers similar classes. If the department approves of the class, your form will be signed. Bring it to the King’s Registrar’s Office for processing.
  6. Once you receive a copy of your form, apply to the other institution as a Visiting Student and send them a copy of your approved Letter of Permission form.
  7. Register for your class; check the university’s website or contact their Registrar’s Office for info on how to register.
  8. Request official transcripts be sent to the King’s Registrar’s Office, so we can list your grade on your record.

Academic Counselling & Services

A number of special services shared between King’s and Dalhousie are available to students to help ensure that their educational experiences are both rewarding and fulfilling.

Registrar’s Office

The King’s Registrar’s Office has an open door policy – we are here to help you through many kinds of difficulties. Sometimes you will meet with someone directly in our office, like one of our academic advisors. We provide degree advising and direction to students who are unsure of their programme choices. Depending on the time of year, you can drop in or you can book an appointment in advance. Sometimes we may refer you to one of the other services available, like the Student Health & Wellness Centre, the Career and Leadership Development Centre, a departmental advisor, an academic success coach, or one of your professors. If you know you need to speak to someone but aren’t sure who that someone should be, drop by and tell us what’s on your mind. We are here to ensure your university experience is a good one.

FYP Writing Coach

Mark Burke the FYP Writing Coach offers one-on-one writing support to first year students during appointments and drop-in hours. He organizes and conducts workshops on writing, and develops writing resources for students.

Dalhousie Bissett Student Success Centre

King’s students can visit the Dalhousie Bissett Student Success Centre to learn more about Dalhousie programs and courses.

Black Student Advisor 

The Black Student Advising Centre provides assistance for prospective and current students of African descent (African, American, Canadian, Caribbean, etc.). The advisor may organize program activities that assist students in developing contacts with other students of African descent, both on campus and in the community. The centre is intended to foster a sense of support and community among these students, with other students and to increase intercultural awareness.

The advisor will provide confidential services and programs individual and/or group assistance, impartial observation, relevant resource materials, along with a referral service, which may benefit students’ academic, personal and social development on and off campus. There is a small student resource room for meeting, peer support, reading and/or studying. Awards, scholarships, employment, community information and upcoming events are also made available.

Dalhousie University created the position of the Black Student Advisor to provide information to prospective students, increase access, and promote retention of indigenous students of African descent. The centre may be beneficial to all students, faculty and staff as a means of increasing awareness and sensitivity to Black student issues and presence within the university community.

Students can also contact King’s Racial Equity Liaison Services.

Kindly note that the centre is a scent/fragrance-free environment.

International Student Services

As an international student at King’s, you will become part of our small community while also having access to a large and diverse group of international students and a full range of international student services available through Dalhousie.

See also:

Indigenous Student Centre

The Indigenous Student Centre is available to all post-secondary students in Metro Halifax. It  is located at 1321 Edward Street. Telephone 902-494-8863.

Racial Equity Liaison Services

The University of King’s College Racial Equity Policy serves to encourage diversity and awareness of equity issues within the faculty and student body, as well as community outreach. It provides students with information relating to diversity and equity issues, and counselling and mediation, through both the Racial Equity Committee and an External Equity Consultant. The Racial Equity Committee, itself, is also closely associated with theDalhousie Black Students Advising Centre and the Indigenous Student Centre.

An important part of the University’s Equity Policy is the position of Equity Liaison Officer. The Equity Liaison Officer is responsible for encouraging the goals of the Racial Equity Policy. He or she is also available for receiving complaints under the Equity Policy and referring these complaints as appropriate. As well, the Equity Liaison Officer acts as the liaison with the Dalhousie Black Student Advising Centre and Indigenous Student Centre.

The University of King’s College also has available an External Equity Consultant who is a trained mediator responsible for resolving disputes. The External Equity Consultant is available to all members of the King’s community.

Please see the University Racial Equity Policy in the Yellow Book [PDF].

Student Accessibility Centre

Both King’s and Dalhousie University are committed to providing an accessible environment in which members of the community can pursue their educational goals. Ongoing efforts consistent with a reasonable and practical allocation of resources are being made to improve accessibility and provide special services.

Students who have questions or concerns about accessibility on the King’s campus, including physical access on campus, should contact the King’s Accessibility Officer Neil Hooper.

For further information on the King’s Equity Policy concerning Individuals with Disabilities, please consult the Yellow Book [PDF].

Dalhousie’s Student Accessibility Services provides support and advocacy for students with disabilities. In cooperation with faculty, staff, and other student services at the university, the advisors and staff at the Student Accessibility Services office endeavour to provide appropriate support services as needed by the student. Early consultation is advised to ascertain that we can fulfill your needs.

Students with questions concering physical access to facilities on the Dalhousie campus and accessibility for students with learning disabilities at King’s and Dalhousie can contact the office by phone: voice (902) 494-2836, TTY 902-494-7091, or by email (

Please note that owing to the chemical sensitivities of those who work in and frequent the Student Accessibility Services office, our environment must be scent free.

Study Abroad Advisor

The Study Abroad and Exchange Advisor offers support for students interested in studying abroad.

Tutoring Services

The Dalhousie Tutoring Service provides subject tutoring to students requiring academic assistance. Requests for tutoring are given to the Studying for Success Program Coordinator, who sets an appointment for the interested student to meet a Study Skills Coach. The coach then makes a detailed assessment of academic difficulties, helps develop effective approaches to studying, and may refer the student to a tutor, if needed.

Workshops and one-on-one study coaching is also available to King’s students through the Dalhousie Studying for Success program

Writing Centre

The Dalhousie Writing Centre’s goal is to help students cultivate ideas, develop strong organizational skills and heighten creativity. The centre’s tutors can assist with understanding directions for written assignments, essay writing, structuring letters of intent for graduate programs, and improving writing ability in general. They are available to help students articulate, clarify and shape their ideas.

The centre offers support services to students at both Dalhousie and King’s, and appointments are free of charge; the costs of the Writing Centre are included in university tuition.

Visit the centre in the Killam Library Learning Commons G40C, phone 902-494-1963 or email at