Library_ArchivesSQ_LandingPageThe history of King’s exists in more than just College lore. Welcome to the University Archives.

The University Archives, located in the Library & Archives Building, is the depository for inactive records of the University that have permanent administrative, legal, financial or historical value. Researchers may place requests for material at any time, but materials may be consulted only while Archives staff are on duty.


In addition to records created by the University’s administrative bodies, the Archives contains a variety of other holdings relating to the history of the University. These include a significant collection of photographs and several student publications, such as The Ancient Commoner (1965-1988); The Watch (the monthly student news magazine, published since 1989); Babel, published by the Early Modern Studies Society since 2002; and HINGE, a contemporary studies journal.

Finding Aids

Finding aids for the following collections of archival records are available at the Library’s Reference desk:

  • Alumni Association of the University of King’s College fonds (1845-2008)
  • Andrew Doane Merkel correspondence (1900-1953)
  • King’s Students’ Union fonds, including student societies (1890-2008)
  • Owsley Robert Rowley Anglican episcopal correspondence collection (1795-1939)
  • University of King’s College architectual records collection (1794-2008)
  • University of King’s College athletic records collection (1969-2009)
  • University of King’s College Board of Governors (1787-2009)
  • University of King’s College central filing system (1885-1963)
  • University of King’s College Convocation (1954-1987)
  • University of King’s College photograph collection (1867-1996)
  • University of King’s College Registrar’s Office (1803-2010)
  • University of King’s College School of Divinity (1928-1977)
  • University of King’s College School of Journalism (1945-2012)
  • Weldon Collection of Pottery and Porcelain guide. 36 pp. Halifax, NS. The Library, University of King’s College, 1993.

For more information:

Tracy Lenfesty

University Librarian, Library |