Residence Services

Get connected to campus-wide Wi-Fi and mail services. Find out where to do laundry, take out your recyclables or watch TV. Discover what services you can access as a King’s student.


Internet access

King’s and Dal campus share a wireless network that you can connect to with your NetID. If you are new to King’s, your NetID is the username you set up when you registered for a Dalhousie email account. For example, if your email address is, your NetID is my583319. If you haven’t got your NetID set up yet, please see setting up your NetID.

ResNet is the service used in the residences to access the internet. ResNet Service includes both wireless and ethernet connection. You can use any type device to connect wirelessly, as long as you have your NetID.

For wireless


  1. Click the Wi-Fi icon in the top right of the screen and select the Dal-WPA2 network.
  2. Enter your NetID and password. Any letters in the NetID should be in lowercase. Click Join.
  3. Click “Show Certificate” and confirm you are authenticating to Click Continue.
  4. Enter your computer account name and password and click “Update Settings”. You should now be connected.


  1. In Settings, select Wireless/Wireless Networks.
  2. Choose “Dal-WPA2” and Click Connect.
  3. Enter your NetID and password. Any letters in the NetID should be in lowercase. Click OK.
  4. Click Connect to complete joining the network.

Instructions for various other operating systems and devices are available at

For ethernet

  1. If you require an ethernet connection you can purchase an ethernet cable locally or online.  You must then contact the Dalhousie Computer Help Desk at or 902-494-4357 to activate your ethernet port.
  2. Plug the network cable into your Ethernet card located at the back of your computer (possibly on the side if you have a laptop) and the other end into the network port located on the wall (near where your phone plugs into the wall, usually behind your desk).
  3. Open your web browser (i.e Firefox) and you should automatically be directed to register your computer through the ResNet registration page using your NetID and password.
  4. If the ResNet registration page is not displayed automatically, please type in the following URL: to go to the registration page. Follow the instructions provided.

If you have any difficulties, please contact the Dalhousie Computer Help Desk.

Please note: Wireless routers and other network devices are not permitted in residence because they interfere with the signal of the Dalhousie Wireless Network. Printers must have wireless printing functionality disabled at all times as they are not compatible with the university’s network.

ResNet users are prohibited from using their computer as a server, or from extending the campus network through the use of routers, hubs, or wireless networks.

All ResNet users must agree to abide by Dalhousie’s acceptable use policy [PDF].

Computer lab

A computer lab, which is linked to the ResNet high-speed internet system, is available in the King’s Library. Printing is available from this lab for a nominal fee.

Printing in the Library


All student mail and packages are picked up at King’s A&A reception. The desk is open Monday-Friday from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. (excluding holidays).

Your address while in residence:

Student Name
Room Number and Residence Building
University of King’s College
6350 Coburg Road
Halifax, NS B3H 2A1

Phone services

If you would like to have a landline phone in your room at no cost, you can complete an online request through the Residence Portal or contact the Alex Hall front desk.

Day-to-day life


Laundry machines are located in the basement of Alex Hall, Middle Bay and Cochran Bay. To use them, you need a laundry card which will be included in your residence package when you arrive. You can load money onto the laundry card using your debit or credit card at the Coinamatic re-load station in the basement of the A&A Building. Each load of washing costs $1.75 and a load of drying costs $1.50. Please consider using unscented laundry products.

Replacements for lost cards may be purchased at the re-load station located in the basement of King’s A&A.  For card issues please contact Coinamatic at

Illness and sick trays

If you become ill or experience any health-related difficulties during the academic year, feel free to talk with your don. We will do our best to support and accommodate your needs. The dons can arrange for sick trays to be brought to you from the dining hall.


The Facilities staff at King’s are responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of our residence buildings. Any maintenance requests should be reported online using form F011 through the residence portal. Larger maintenance issues should be directed to your don.


Students are responsible for the general upkeep of their rooms. You can obtain cleaning supplies from the student cleaning closets in Alex Hall, Middle Bay and the Roost. Common areas of the university are cleaned by our cleaning contractor who use “green” cleaning supplies and products. Any cleaning requests can be submitted to the front desk of Alexandra Hall. Ongoing complaints or concerns should be directed to your don.

Recycling and garbage

Bins are provided for garbage and for recycling (plastic and glass drinking containers and paper) in Alexandra Hall, Cochran Bay, Angels’ Roost, and under Middle, Chapel, and Radical bays. Please regularly empty the garbage can in your room into one of main garbage bins in one of those locations.

Common rooms and TV rooms

Common rooms with televisions, which are for the general use of all students, are located in Alexandra Hall and in the Middle Bay Common Room. The rooms in Alexandra Hall can be booked for group use through the front desk of Alexandra Hall.

Amenities and services

Fitness Facilities

All residence students have full access to the fitness facilities (aerobic studio, cardio room, weight room, gymnasium) located in our campus gym. You have access to these facilities by using your residence swipe card. King’s students can also access the Dalplex.

DalCard / Student ID cards

The DalCard is your student identification card, Library card, and it provides you with access to Prince Hall (the dining hall). You will also need to show it when you use your university bus pass on Metro Transit. You can get your DalCard at any time during the year by going to the DalCard office, which is located in Howe Hall at 6230 Coburg Rd. (on the Dalhousie campus), a five-minute walk from the King’s quad.


Unfortunately, King’s is not able to provide any storage space for personal belongings.


There are numerous bike racks located throughout the campus for bike storage. Bicycles which are secured to railings, trees or buildings will be removed and placed in storage for one week, after which they will be donated to charity.

Campus Safety

The university has taken a number of measures to ensure the safety of the campus community at King’s:

  • Controlled-access doors have been installed on all residence buildings, and professional security make hourly rounds of the campus after regular business hours.
  • Each night one of the dons is on-call to respond to emergencies, and the dean is only a phone call away.
  • In the event of a serious emergency, we rely on our good relationship with the Halifax Regional Police and Emergency Medical Services, who are always quick to respond.

In the event of an emergency…

Dial 9-911 from any campus phone to speak with emergency personnel (ambulance, police, etc). You should also call extension 132 to alert the front desk. If you cannot contact the front desk yourself, send a friend or bystander.

Safety bulletins

The Residence Team issues safety memos throughout the year in the event that there are particular safety issues you should know about. Read these notices, please! You will find them in your Dalhousie email account and posted on your don’s bulletin board in your residence.

Find more information on campus safety.