Next Steps
You’ve been accepted – next steps

You've been accepted - next steps

Along with the excitement of being accepted, we know it can be difficult to keep track of all that needs to be done between now and when you first arrive on campus. The following steps outline what should be at the top of your list when accepting your offer and activating your university account. If you have any questions about any of these steps, people who understand the process and care about your success are ready and willing to help: get in touch.

Step 1: Find your student ID number

Your King’s/Dal student ID, sometimes called your Banner ID, begins with a B0####### and is found on your acceptance letter. You will need this for your next step.

Step 2: Accept your offer of admission

To accept your offer of admission, you will need to pay your non-refundable admission deposit by the date indicated in your acceptance letter.

  • Undergraduate (domestic): $200
  • Undergraduate (international): $2,500
  • Graduate (domestic and international): $200

Note: The non-refundable admission deposit is not required to move to Step 3: ACTIVATE YOUR NET ID for Summer & September applicants.


When to pay your deposit

Undergraduate Admission term Payment details
  Fall – September May 15 or the date indicated in your acceptance letter if admitted after May 15 (if required)
  Winter – January Your acceptance letter will say when your admission deposit is due (if required)
  Summer – May Your acceptance letter will say when your admission deposit is due (if required)
BJ (one-year) Admission term Payment details
  Fall – September May 15 (or the date indicated in your acceptance letter)
MFA Admission term Payment details
  Summer – June Your acceptance letter will say when your admission deposit is due
MJ Admission term Payment details
  Fall – September Your acceptance letter will say when your admission deposit is due
  Winter – September Your acceptance letter will say when your admission deposit is due

Accepting your offer of admission can be done within your Application Status Portal by following these steps:

  • View your admission letter
  • Accept your admission offer by filling in and submitting the Admission Offer Reply form
  • Pay your non-refundable admission deposit

Note: If this option is not available to you, please contact the Student Account’s Office, at accounts@ukings.ca, to inquire about alternate ways to pay your fee.

Step 3: Activate your Net ID

Important: Please allow up to two/three business days from when you are offered admission to when you can create a NetID.

Your Net ID is your username that you will use to log in to King’s/Dalhousie online services and apply to residence. You can activate your Net ID using your King’s student number.

To activate your Net ID:

  • Go to my.dal.ca and click on “New User?”
  • Click “Activate my Net ID” and follow the instructions
  • Register a password and reset email

Step 4: Activate your email and Dal Online account

Use your Net ID and password to access your King’s email account by logging into MyDal. You can also create a personalized email address with your name instead of your Net ID.

Please note: You are responsible for checking your university email account regularly, as it is our main form of official university communication.

Enroll for Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA)

MFA is required for all Dal accounts. MFA is a security authentication method that requires you to provide two or more pieces of evidence (or factors) to login. The evidence is a security code or confirmation provided via a phone call, text message, or authenticator app. Learn more about MFA here.

Activate your Dal Online account

You will use your Net ID and password to access Dal Online. Dal Online is where you can apply for residence, register for classes, check your class schedule, check your grades and more. Log in and get familiar with the system.

University of King's College

Other important steps

Apply to residence, live off campus or book accommodation for summer residency


Living in residence is an integral part of the King’s living and learning community. You will quickly catch on that learning doesn’t only happen in the classroom.

Join our residence community and submit your application online! Residence is filled on a first-come first-served basis.

For more information about residence living, please reach out to residence@ukings.ca.

Off-campus housing

There are several off-campus housing options for King’s students. Many are within walking distance to campus and on popular bus routes.

Day Students’ Society (DSS): DSS’s purpose is to support day students (students that live off-campus) and help them integrate to life on campus. There are many ways you can be an active member of the King’s community and the DSS ensures day students can participate fully in campus life. If you have questions about DSS, contact daystudentssociety@gmail.com.

Summer accommodation (MFA students)

MFA students can book summer accommodation during their residency with Conference Services. For more information about summer accommodation, please reach out to conferences@ukings.ca.

Transfer students: Request an assessment

Post-secondary applicants

If you have studied at an accredited institution approved by King’s, you may be eligible to receive credit for course work already completed. When you submit your admission deposit, a member of the admissions team will initiate the transfer credit assessment process.

High school applicants

If you have studied in one of the following programs, you may be eligible to receive credit for course work already completed:

  • Advanced Placement (AP)
  • Caribbean Advanced Proficiency Examinations (CAPE)
  • GCE A Level (British System)
  • French Baccalauréat
  • International Baccalaureate (IB)

When you submit your admission deposit and your official exam results, a member of the admissions team will initiate the transfer credit assessment process.

For more information, visit Undergraduate Admission Requirements or contact Tara Wigglesworth-Hines at tara.wigglesworthhines@ukings.ca.

International students: Apply for a study permit

In order to apply for a study permit, you must first accept your offer of admission and pay the $2,500 non-refundable confirmation deposit before you can request a Provincial Attestation Letter (PAL). PALs may only be requested and issued to you from King’s (you cannot obtain a PAL through the provincial government). Once you have received a PAL, you may then submit your study permit application to Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). If you are unsure of your status in Canada or you don’t know if you need a study permit, please contact IRCC as soon as possible.

If you have questions about the study permit process, we encourage you to contact the International Centre and speak to a Certified Immigration Agent.

Learn about financing your education

King’s is committed to making your education affordable. You can start planning by visiting our financial aid and financial advising pages and reading the resources below.

Scholarships and awards

Undergraduate: King’s offers general entrance awards ranging from $2,000 to $3,500 for entering high school students. Apply by March 1 by completing your admission application and you will automatically be considered. King’s also offers major entrance awards for entering high school students. Apply by March 1 by completing your admissions application and your major awards application package.

Advanced and graduate: King’s offers entrance awards for students entering the one-year Bachelor of Journalism, Master of Journalism and Master of Fine Arts programs. Apply by completing your admissions and scholarship applications by the application deadline.


King’s offers non-repayable bursaries every year toward your unmet financial needs.

Student loans

Provincial and federal student loans are available in Canada and the United States. Visit student loans for more information.

Set up accessibility or academic accommodations

The Student Accessibility Centre is here to support you with the accessibility and academic accommodation you need for success. If you require accessibility and/or academic accommodations, please be in touch as soon as possible.

Our colleagues at the Dalhousie Student Accessibility Centre are here to help answer your questions. Please email access@dal.ca for more information.

Speak to someone about your academic plan

Our advisors provide academic support to current King’s students. They will help you monitor your plan of study, choose courses that relate to your goals and interests, apply strategies for academic success from first year to graduation and more.

To contact a King’s advisor, please connect with registrar@ukings.ca.

Several services shared between King’s and Dalhousie are available to you to help ensure that your educational experiences are rewarding and fulfilling. Some services at King’s or jointly shared include:

Prepare to register for courses

New undergraduate students

Registration for new students will open in early June. Course registration information will be emailed to you in the spring.

Dalhousie offers a Register on Track program for new Dal and King’s students, which provides resources to set you up for success in your first year.

Transfer students

Registration for transfer students will open in March. Course registration information will be emailed to you in early March.

One-year Bachelor of Journalism (BJ) students

Registration for one-year Bachelor of Journalism students will open in May. Course registration information will be emailed to you in April.

Master of Journalism (MJ) students

September entry – registration for Master of Journalism students will open in May. Course registration information will be emailed to you in April.

January entry – registration for Master of Journalism students will be open to you in the Fall. Course registration information will be emailed to you in November.

Master of Fine Arts (MFA) students

Registration for MFA students will take place in the spring. Registration for all required courses will be completed by the Registrar’s Office.

For further information and resources regarding course selection and registration, please see the Course Selection and Registration.

Book a campus tour or attend an event

We are offering a variety of options to visit the Quad virtually and in-person through the year, keeping the health and safety of our campus, community and visitors in mind. We hope you can join us for one or more of our upcoming events!

Coordinate your new DalCard and UPass


Your DalCard is more than your official student ID card. It’s a debit card, library card, DalPlex pass and bus pass! To get started, you will need to upload your photo and government-issued photo ID online atdal.ca/getmydalcard. Once you submit your photo, you will receive information via your university (Dal) email about picking up your card when you arrive on campus. Visit the DalCard website for up-to-date details and deadlines. 

Questions? Contact the DalCard Office. 


If you’re a full-time student, a Halifax Transit UPass is included in your student fees. The UPass is a sticker placed on your DalCard and will act as your bus pass until the end of the year (April 30). For more UPass information, including opt-in/opt-out details, visit

Learn more about Health & Wellness services

King’s students have access to the Health & Wellness Centre, which provide services that include medical exams and consultations, prescriptions, mental health care, 2SLGBTQIA+ health, Sexually Transmitted Infection (STI) testing and referrals to specialist care.

The King’s Student Union (KSU) Health and Dental Plan provides coverage for medical, dental, travel, accident, vision and many other services and perks. All full-time students who begin their studies in September are automatically enrolled in the KSU Health Plan and the cost of the plan is included in your student fees.  

For more information about the Health Plan, including opt-in/out deadlines, be sure to connect with the KSU.  

International Student Health Plan 

In addition to the KSU Health Plan above, international students must also be part of the Dalhousie Student Union (DSU) International Student Health Plan. The DSU International Student Health Plan provides international students with basic health insurance coverage such as doctor and hospital visits. This plan is different from the KSU Health and Dental Plan above.  

For more information, visit the DSU International Health Plan website. 

Download the Dal Mobile app and stay in touch

Download the Dal Mobile app for iOS or Android to connect with other students, discover useful services and resources on campus, and stay up to date with important information from King’s and Dalhousie.

King’s will communicate with you regularly using the email you provided on your application for admission. Remember to add King’s College to your email provider’s “safe list.” Contact us at admissions@ukings.ca if you have questions.

Following us on social media is a great window into the King’s community and will help you connect with your incoming class. See more of the campus, chat with other members of the King’s community, receive reminders of important dates and deadlines, and information on special events.

University of King’s College

Other useful resources

University of King's College

Become what the world needs. Join us at King’s.

Education is not about systematic instruction, or following other people’s orders. Our education has been learning the conditions for free thinking. Because we have learned maturity, and developed and expanded our interests, we now know how to engage with the world with confidence.” – Maggie O’Riordan-Ross, 2017 Valedictorian